I’m and avid reader and love to write about anything and everything.
Interests include dystopian studies, children’s literature and initial teacher education. My poetry, short fiction and academic articles have appeared in print and electronic form, including: Aesthetica, The Birmingham Journal of Language and Literature, Education in Practice & Writing in Practice (National Association of Writers in Education), Dyst: Literary Journal, Intima: A Journal of Narrative Medicine, The Crank and Bandit Fiction.
Simply click on the links below to view some of my recent work.
- Podcast interview with Elizabeth Coplan: reading poems from ‘The Mirror-Box’ (with accompanying transcript) (2021)
- God & the Airport Check-In Girls: published by Bandit Fiction (2021)
- Sergius: poem published in The Crank (Literary Mag) (2021)
- Go In, Stay In, Tune Out: short story published in Dyst: A Literary Journal (2020).
- The Handkerchief: poem published in Intima Journal, (Autumn 2018).
- Dust: poem published in Cafe Afra, (Summer 2018).
- Creative and Critical Digressions – reflections on my Creative Writing/English PhD.
- Interview for BBC Radio Leicester FM – Word Waves (February 2017): Reading of poem (The Shoe) and opening section from new novel The Recollector (podcast available).
- Aesthetica Magazine: Two short fiction pieces – Leather Inc and Doin’ Time, Doin Fine.
- Cornwall Teaching School’s Annual NQT Conference (2021): Strategies for fostering creativity in your classroom.
- University of Warwick (2020): workshop for CTE’s ‘Research in Action’ Annual Conference: Teacher Manifestos.
- University of Leicester (2020): Guest speaker seminar, Imagine If You Can: Thoughts on writing in the Dystopian Genre.
- Gateway Alliance (2020): Developing Teacher Presence Workshop for Primary PGCE.
- Bath Spa University (2019): Guest lectures to Secondary PGCE BSTs during induction: Educational Learning Theories and Managing Workload/Stress.
- Developing Online Mentoring Provision during the Covid Crisis, (Cornwall SCITT, 2020); practice paper in draft form, (TBC).
- Interview for Radio Scilly (2020) promoting DfE expansion pilot project as part of Cornwall SCITT.
- DfE’s expansion pilot (Warwick, 2018): A devolved ITE Model for schools in Opportunity Areas.
- Outstanding Mentoring Practice (Warwick University): UCET Conference (2015)
- BERA-blog (2021): Interrogating the notion of the seaside idyll in the context of initial teacher training.
- Genre Recall: the function of memory and identity in selected dystopian texts and my own creative piece, The Recollector (NAWE, Summer 2018); interview with Faculti on this paper & NAWE Annual Conference seminar.
- ‘Widening Participation’, Warwick University (50k across 2017-2018): Bridging the Gap: A project for learners identified as more able in English and supporting their transition from primary to secondary school.
- The Birmingham Journal of Language and Literature (2010): The Hopeless Principle: A re-appraisal of dystopian literature in relation to critical theory, science fiction studies and speculative philosophy.
On the horizon …
- The Knowing Ones: children’s fiction (2021).
- Hideous Progeny: reflections on the ways in which the failings of technology and science have informed a range of dystopian texts centred on memory and identity, including my own work, The Recollector, (2021).
- ‘Impact’ article (Chartered College of Teaching): ‘Lessons from Lockdown for a Cornwall MAT)